Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Challenge 2: Chicken Meatballs

I haven't made chicken meatballs today, in fact I've never bought chicken mince before! This is challenge recipe number 2 from the 'Low-fat' cookbook.

Ingredients:

  • 500g chicken mince
  • 3 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
  • 2 teaspoons finely chopped thyme
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 x 425g tins chopped tomatoes
  • 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • Grated parmesan cheese to serve

Method:

  1. Combine the chicken, breadcrumbs and thyme in a large bowl and season well
  2. Roll tablespoons of the mixture between your hands to make meatballs
  3. Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the meatballs in batches for 5-8 minutes, or until golden brown
  4. Remove from the pan and drain well on paper towel
  5. Add the onion to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until softened
  6. Add the tomato, vinegar and stock, return the meatballs to the pan, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the sauce thickens and the meatballs are cooked through
  7. Serve with pasta and a little parmesan

Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 6
Score: 2 out of 5 stars
Comment: I don't like breadcrumbs so I used Organ Gluten-free All Purpose Rice Crumbs. I thought 2 tins of tomatoes were too much, so only added one tin. I also made the meatballs larger than stated so let them simmer for 15 minutes instead of 10. It served 4 of us not 6. I wonder if I used smaller meatballs and the extra tin of tomatoes it would serve 6? The sauce didn't thicken up! The flavours were lovely and I added chopped basil as garnish as well as the parmesan cheese, however the actual meatballs were bland. Not a fan of chicken meatballs I've realised and I definitely won't make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment