Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Microwave Chow Mein

This dish is excellent after a long and busy day and you don't want to spend too much time in the kitchen. It's relatively quick, takes little effort and a hit with the family. This dish serves 4 generous serves. Note: You will need to cook the rice first so put the rice cooker on before you start, or use left over cold rice.

Ingredients:
  • 50g butter
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 cup green beans cut into thirds
  • 500g lean mince beef
  • 2 packets of chicken noodle soup mix
  • 1 1/2 or 2 tablespoons curry powder (depending on taste)
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 2 cups cooked, cooled rice
  • 2 tablespoons salt-reduced soy sauce (this is important. It is quite salty with the chicken soup mix, so I strongly suggest salt-reduced soy sauce)
  • 1/2 cabbage, shredded
  • 2 cups hot water

Method:
  1. Cook rice first
  2. Place butter, onion and beans in a large casserole dish, cover and cook on high for 6 minutes, stirring half way
  3. Add mince, break it up and cook for 6 minutes and stir during cooking again
  4. Add soup mix, curry powder, sugar, rice, soy sauce, cabbage and the water
  5. Cook for 6 minutes, stir and cook another 6 minutes
  6. If more water is needed, add it then cook for a further 4 minutes.
Note: The cabbage takes up a lot of room, so be sure to use a large, deep casserole dish.
D-E-L-icious  XD

No comments:

Post a Comment