Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Caponata


Caponata is a traditional Maltese dish which is vegetarian and full of colour. This recipe is easy to make, low-fat and very tasty. You'll need to set aside about an hour in total for preparation and cooking. Serves 4.

Ingredients:

  • 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
  • 3 capsicums, chopped (I used one yellow, one red and one green)
  • 1 large eggplant, peeled, salted and cubed
  • 5 large tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1 tablespoon capers
  • 1 tablespoon sliced black olives
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • Pepper to taste (you shouldn't need salt as the capers and olives are salty)
Method:
  1. Place the chopped eggplant in salted water and leave it for about 5mins
  2. In a large saucepan, cook the chopped onions in 1 tablespoon of good quality olive oil until clear
  3. Add the chopped capsicums and cook for about 4mins on medium heat
  4. Add some water to prevent sticking
  5. Remove the eggplant from the water and add it to the saucepan
  6. Cook for about 5mins until they soften slightly
  7. Add the chopped tomatoes and stir well
  8. Add the curry powder, pepper, oregano, olives and capers and stir well
  9. Cook for 40mins on a low heat
  10. Serve with either rice or pasta sprinkled with either Parmesan or Fetta cheese.
Note: This is nice served warm or cold and can also be used as a pizza topping, or as a side dish for meat...D-E-L-icious  XD

No comments:

Post a Comment