Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Scouse - Traditional Liverpudlian stew

Scouse

While simmering

When I was a kid I would spend a lot of time at my Nan and Grandad's. Nan would often make this traditional dish from her birth-place, Liverpool England, called Scouse. It's basically a stew which uses left-over leg of lamb with vegetables. The flavour of the cooked lamb and marrow from the bone permeate through all the elements to create a dish which will leave you wanting more. It is very easy and extremely tasty. Best made on a weekend when you have a few hours to put aside. However preparation is only 5-10 minutes. The serving sizes vary because it will depend on the amount of meat left on the bone.

Ingredients:
  • Left-over cooked leg of lamb (including the bone)
  • 1 onion peeled and diced
  • 3-4 potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 3-4 carrots, peeled and diced
  • 1 or 2 beef stock cubes
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 tablespoons barley (optional)
Method:
  1. Remove all meat from leg of lamb and cut into chunks
  2. Place lamb, including bone, into a big pot
  3. Add the vegetables, salt & pepper and stock cubes and cover with water
  4. Boil/simmer (covered) until meat falls off the bone then remove bone
  5. If you choose to add barley and boil/simmer until it's soft and you are ready to eat
  6. Serve in bowls along with crusty bread rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment