Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

French Onion Soup


One of my favourite meals from childhood is my Dad’s French Onion Soup. This recipe is delicious and healthy and great for a cold winter night.

Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 large onions, thinly sliced
  • 2-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon caster sugar
  • 1/2teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2 tablespoons plain flour
  • 125ml dry white wine
  • 2 litres chicken, vegetable or beef stock (I used vegetable)
  • French bread stick
  • 340g Gruyere, Emmenthal or Parmesan cheese, grated
Method:
  1. In a large heavy pan or casserole dish, heat the butter and olive oil over a medium-high heat
  2. Add onions and cook for 10-12 minutes until soft and beginning to brown
  3. Add garlic, sugar and thyme and continue cooking over a medium heat for 30-35 minutes, until onions are well browned, stirring frequently
  4. Sprinkle in the flour and stir until well blended. Stir in the white wine and stock and bring to the boil
  5. Skim off any foam that rises, then reduce heat and simmer gently for 45 minutes
Note: In additional you can do the following to the French bread…
  1. Float a piece of French bread toast in each bowl and top with grated cheese
  2. Grill until cheese has melted and is bubbling.
I made double quantities and sliced the onions in the food processor. Double quantities served 6.  D-E-L-icious XD

No comments:

Post a Comment