Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Lentil & Cheese Bake


This is my oldest recipe. I acquired this recipe when I was about 18yrs old. Every time I make it I get praise for it because it is extremely luscious…and very very healthy. It serves 4 and is an excellent dish for Vegetarians. We always have it with a salad, but it can also be served with warm vegies. It is really really nice cold too. So if you have leftovers (we never do lol) then just pop it in the fridge for lunch tomorrow.

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup green lentils
  • 1 and 1/2 cups grated tasty cheese
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp vegemite
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 stick celery chopped fine
  • 1 cup red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 onions, chopped fine
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced

Method:
  1. Cook the lentils in boiling water for about 20mins. Drain and place in a large bowl
  2. Place onions in a saucepan on the stove. Add 1/4 cup water, some salt and pepper and stir often. Cook for about 10mins until they are clear. I do this instead of frying - it eliminates the need for oil!
  3. Place the onions and beaten eggs in the bowl with the lentils and mix through
  4. Add and mix through the vegemite, celery, beans and 1 cup of the grated cheese (set the other 1/2 cup aside
  5. Pour the mixture into a loaf tin which has been sprayed with spray oil. Flatten the mixture out
  6. Lay the sliced tomatoes over the top, then the remaining grated cheese
  7. Bake in a 200 degrees oven for 35 minutes or until the cheese on top is melted and brown
D-E-L-icious  XD

No comments:

Post a Comment