Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Friday, December 7, 2012

Slow cooked beef with barley and tomato sauce


I came up with this recipe when I discovered some chuck steak in the freezer and barley in the pantry which was nearing it's best by date. This is a tasty, warm and nourishing meal and lovely served with pasta and vegetables. It serves 5, but if you wanted to simply have a bowl of it with no veg or pasta, it would serve 3 generous bowls which would be perfect with crusty bread.

Ingredients:

  • 500g cubed chuck steak (or gravy beef)
  • 2 x 400g tins diced tomatoes
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary or a sprig of fresh
  • 1 teaspoon freshly crushed garlic
  • 1 cup barley
  • 1 tin of water. I use the tomato tins so no tomato juice is wasted. I add the garlic and rosemary to the tin of water and mix before adding to the slow cooker :)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Method:
  1. In the slow cooker place all ingredients and stir well so the meat is covered
  2. Cook on low for 6-8hrs or high for 4-5hrs
Note: It is very important to add the tin of water because the barley swells up like rice.

That's it! Easy, healthy and D-E-L-icious  XD


No comments:

Post a Comment