Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Slow Cooked Chicken & Corn Noodle Soup


Most people make their chicken and corn soup out of chicken drums or thighs. Well I only had breast in the freezer so I used breast as a bit of a test and I must say, I'm impressed.

As some of you know via Facebook - I recently had to replace my slow cooker. This is the first meal cooked in the new one. I didn't follow a recipe, I made this up…threw it in the SC and hoped for the best… we were not disappointed!

Ingredients:

  • 2 chicken breasts (kept whole, trimmed of fat)
  • 1 x 420g can condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 4 celery sticks, thinly chopped
  • 2 carrots, peeled, halved and chopped thinly
  • ½ green capsicum, roughly chopped
  • Half an onion, peeled and chopped
  • 1 tin corn kernels, liquid discarded or alternatively use a tin of creamed corn
  • 1 teaspoon minced ginger
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1/2 tablespoon of rock salt
  • 1/2 tablespoon of fresh Cambodian cracked pepper (I guess any pepper will do as long as it is peppercorns, freshly cracked)
  • 3 litres of chicken stock. I used 1 litre of chicken stock and 2 litres of water as I didn't want it too salty. I had already added the rock salt so was being overly cautious.


Method:

  1. Place the chicken breast in the bottom of the slow cooker whole - do not cut as we will shred it later
  2. Add the celery, carrot, onion, corn and capsicum to the slow cooker
  3. Place the can of soup, the chicken stock and water along with the garlic, ginger salt & pepper into a large jug and mix well, then add to the slow cooker
  4. Put a tea towel under the lid of the slow cooker and cook on either low for 6hrs OR auto for about 4hrs. Chicken can become dry in the slow cooker if left too long, or if cooked on high
  5. Before serving, take the chicken breasts out with a slotted spoon and shred with a fork. Return to the slow cooker and stir
  6. Also before serving, add noodles of your choice, cooked to packet instructions. I used vermicelli which only need to sit in boiled water for a few minutes. After a few minutes - and once they were soft - I placed the vermicelli into soup bowls and simply poured the soup on top of them.  D-E-L-icious  XD


1 comment:

  1. Thanks to give this wonderful article. I really enjoyed to read this article...

    ReplyDelete