Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Home-made Chicken and Corn Soup


This is one of my husband's favourite home-made soups. It is extremely tasty and a fantastic winter dish. It serves 6.
Ingredients:
  • 6 chicken drums
  • 2 litres chicken stock
  • 2 tins creamed corn
  • 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon grated or minced ginger
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice
  • Salt & pepper
Method:
  1. Heat the oil in a large, deep saucepan
  2. Place the chicken drums in the pan on a medium heat
  3. Add garlic and ginger and stir through 
  4. Sprinkle the drums with the cumin and Chinese five spice, salt & pepper
  5. Cook the drums until browned, turn over and cook until brown
  6. Keep turning until all sides are brown
  7. Add the chicken stock and increase heat to high until boiling
  8. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 2 hours - the longer the better! I simmer it for 3-4hrs
  9. Turn heat off and using tongs and slotted spoon, pick all the meat off the bones
  10. Leave all the meat in the pot and remove all bones, gristle and skin
  11. It's up to you if you shred the meat - I leave it in chunks
  12. Turn heat to high again and add the tins of creamed corn
  13. Stir thoroughly
  14. Once boiling, reduce heat to low for at least half an hour. I leave it for another hour.
  15. Serve into bowls with buttered bread
D-E-L-icious  XD

No comments:

Post a Comment