Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Simple Satay Stir-Fry with Tofu


I made this up one night on the spur of the moment, taking into account my mum's special satay sauce, which I really love. It serves 4 and is delicious with a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds and chilli flakes.
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into 2cm sticks
  • 1 zucchini, sliced into 2cm sticks
  • 1 green capsicum, sliced into 2cm sticks
  • 1 broccoli cut into small florets 
  • 1/2 packet of Chinese Satay Tofu (image below) cut into small squares
  • 250g thin rice noodles
  • 2 tablespoons peanut butter - smooth or crunchy (I used smooth)
  • 1 tablespoon honey (I used generic home-brand Australian honey)
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce (1 tblsp for noodles and 1 tblsp reserved for stir-fry)
  • 1 tablespoon chicken stock (1/2 for noodles and 1/2 reserved for stir-fry
Method:
  1. Boil the kettle and place the noodles in a large bowl. Pour the boiled water over the noodles and stir 1/2 tablespoon chicken stock powder through. Let stand until needed
  2. Heat olive oil in a wok and add a small amount of chicken stock which is set aside for the satay
  3. Add the carrots and stir-fry for 2 minutes, tossing regularly
  4. Add the zucchini and stir-fry for another 2 minutes, tossing regularly
  5. Add the capsicum and brocolli and stir for another 4 minutes, tossing regularly
  6. If the wok dries out, add more stock set aside for the stir-fry
  7. Add the tofu around the outer edges of the wok to 'dry' fry or brown slightly
  8. In a small jug, add the peanut butter and zap in the microwave for about 20seconds just to soften. Add the honey and soy and mix with a fork thoroughly. This is the satay sauce. Pour it on top of the vegies which are centred in the wok and stir through. Stir through the tofu and ensure everything is coated with the satay sauce. Warm through
  9. Place noodles into bowls and top with the tofu, vegetables and satay sauce.
D-E-L-icious  XD


No comments:

Post a Comment