Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Choc-Cherry Muffins with Choc-Cherry glaze


I don't often make sweets, but this is something yummy for the kids' lunchboxes. It is simple and relatively quick - especially if you have a cake mixer.

Ingredients for the muffins:
  • 125g butter or margarine
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 4 drops cherry brandy essence
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups self-raising flour
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup milk
Method for the muffins:
  1. Grease a 12 hole muffin tin
  2. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celsius (fan-forced)
  3. Cream the margarine or butter with the sugar and cherry brandy essence
  4. Beat eggs and add gradually, beating well after each addition. If using cake mixer, add unbeaten eggs, one at a time, and mix each one in on medium speed
  5. Add sifted flour and cocoa alternatively with the milk, beginning and ending with flour. Beat 2 minute on low speed of cake mixer, or 30 strokes of a wooden spoon
  6. Pour into the muffin tray and bake for 20-25 minutes
  7. Muffins are cooked when an inserted skewer comes out dry.
Ingredients for the choc-cherry glaze:
  • 1 cup icing sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons soft butter
  • 3-4 drops cherry brandy essence
  • 1 tablespoon boiling water
Method for the choc-cherry glaze:
  1. Sift icing sugar and cocoa
  2. Add butter and essence
  3. Pour in boiling water, beat well
  4. Spread immediately and leave to set.
I only glaze half the muffins because one of us doesn't like any kind of icing, so I halfed the glaze ingredients. D-E-L-icious  XD

Note: In the photo (from bottom left and going clock-wise) I've left one plain, one with icing sugar sprinkled on top, one with choc-cherry glaze and fresh cream and one with choc-cherry glaze alone. They are all lovely :)

No comments:

Post a Comment