Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mussel Paella

This is my version of seafood paella and it's very easy. Traditionally it is meant to have prawns, mussels and calamari, but because I don't like seafood - I only make it with mussels. I can fit about 24 mussels in my paella pan so this dish serves 4 people with 6 mussels each.

Ingredients:
  • 24 live black mussels, cleaned and beards removed
  • 1 onion, peeled and chopped
  • 2 tins tomatoes
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 fresh chilli, chopped
  • 1 red capsicum
  • Salt & pepper
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 2 teaspoons smoky paprika
  • 100g frozen peas
  • 2 cups rice
  • 1 lemon cut into quarters
  • 2 tablespoons parsley
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
Method:
  1. Heat oil in paella pan on a medium heat
  2. Add onion and cook until clear
  3. Add garlic, chilli and capsicum, paprika and cook while stirring for 2 minutes
  4. Add tinned tomatoes, salt & pepper and stir and cook for about 5mins
  5. Add rice and chicken stock, and bring to the boil, but do not stir
  6. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15mins
  7. Add frozen peas and cook for approximately 15mins or until all moisture is absorbed
  8. Add the mussels, cover with foil, reduce to a low heat until the mussels open
  9. It will only take a few minutes, but once the mussels are open, it is ready
  10. Serve onto plates, squeeze lemon on top and garnish with parsley.
D-E-L-icious  XD
The tomato, onion, garlic, chilli, capsicum and paprika

The paella underway with the rice, peas and chicken stock

The finished paella. Once the mussels open, it is ready to serve




No comments:

Post a Comment