Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Osso Bucco

I apologise for the photo. The settings on my camera were way out.
I will replace it when I make it again.

This is the first time I've made Osso Bucco and I followed the Masterchef Australia recipe. It serves 4 with crusty bread.


Ingredients:
  • 1kg veal shin, cut 2.5cm thick
  • 1 cup plain flour
  • 100ml olive oil
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 carrot, peeled and diced
  • ¼ bunch parsley stalks, leaves picked and roughly chopped, stalks reserved
  • 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
  • 1 cup white wine
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 4 sprigs thyme (I used 1/4 teaspoon dried)
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 400g tin crushed tomato
  • 2 cups veal or chicken stock
  • 400g tin of cannellini beans or 100g dried (soaked for 2hrs)
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180⁰C
  2. Season meat with salt and white pepper and toss in flout to coat, shaking off excess. Heat oil in a frying pan, add meat and panfry until caramelized. Add celery, onion, carrot, reserved parsley stalks, garlic and cook10 minutes
  3. Add tomato paste and cook for 1-2 minutes and deglaze with wine
  4. Add remaining ingredients. Cover with a lid and cook for 1 ½-2 hours
  5. Remove lid, cook for 45 minutes until sauce has thickened
  6. Remove from oven, sprinkle with cracked pepper, sea salt, chopped parsley and lemon zest
  7. Serve with crusty bread.
Note: I went to buy veal shin bones but the butcher only had beef shin bones. They were larger than the Masterchef shin bones so 1kg equalled 4 large pieces. The butcher explained that veal is a calf up to 130kg. The shin bones he had were from a cow 150kg (so only 20kg heavier).  D-E-L-icious  XD


No comments:

Post a Comment