Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Lean Thai Beef Stir Fry


This recipe is one of our favourites and we have it often, because we love Thai food. I worked in a Thai kitchen and I've also undertaken Thai cooking classes. This is as traditional as it gets, as well as being healthy, easy and fast. I have reduced the oil content by two-thirds so this recipe only uses 1 tablespoon of good quality olive oil and I've watered down the sauces so the sauce soaks into the rice ;) We love it and hope you do too. This recipe serves 4 people.

Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon good quality olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon crushed garlic (or 2 fresh garlic cloves finely chopped)
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed chilli (or chopped fresh chilli to your own taste)
  • 500g rump steak, all fat removed, finely sliced
  • 2 handfuls of fresh green string beans, ends removed and cut into 2-3cm lengths
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
  • 1 yellow capsicum, sliced into 2-3cm lengths
  • 1 zucchini, sliced into 2-3cm lengths
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoon chicken stock powder
  • 2 tablespoons fish sauce
  • 1 tablespoon seasoning sauce
  • 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup water
  • Fresh coriander
  • Jasmine rice
Method:
  1. In a large wok, heat the oil on a high heat, add the garlic and chilli and stir for 1 minute
  2. Add the beef strips, stir fry until browned on both sides
  3. Stir in all sauces, the sugar and the chicken stock powder and 1/2 cup water
  4. Add the vegetables and stir fry for 4-5 minutes
  5. Serve on a bed of jasmine rice and garnish with coriander
Note: It may seem there are many ingredients, however once you've bought the sauces, they keep well in the pantry for ages and are common sauces used in Thai cooking. Therefore if you like Thai food - you're going to need these sauces anyway.

D-E-L-icious  XD

No comments:

Post a Comment