Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Home-made Tomato Sauce


Hubby went shopping at a farmer's market for me and came home with a kilo of tomatoes. Because they were very ripe, I decided to make a tomato sauce for tonight's pasta. It's easy, tasty, low-fat and very healthy.

Ingredients:
  • 1 kilo of very red ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped. I did NOT peel or de-seed them!
  • 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
  • Small bunch basil, stalks removed and roughly chopped
  • 4 small green capsicums, seeds removed and roughly chopped
  • Freshly ground rock-salt and black pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
Method:
  1. Add 1 tablespoon of good quality olive oil to a large pan and cook the capsicums with the garlic, salt & pepper until semi-soft, stirring often, then set aside in a bowl
  2. Put the tomatoes in the pan, add more salt & pepper, the tomato paste, and basil and cook for about 20mins stirring often
  3. Return the capsicums to the tomatoes and cook for a further 10min
  4. Serve over a bowl of steaming hot pasta garnished with shaved parmesan cheese.
Note: This recipe is suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans minus the cheese. It is quite versatile as it can be used as a pizza base, pasta sauce, relish, or a ratatouille base. It can also be frozen for later, blended to a smoother consistency or left chunky. We like it chunky...D-E-L-icious  XD

No comments:

Post a Comment