Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Monday, January 9, 2012

Tony's Chilli


This recipe is my husband's speciality. It is delicious and easy, but will need between 2 and 4 hours. The longer it simmers - the better. This serves 6 with rice or 4 without rice.

Ingredients:

  • 500g lean mince beef (I used heart-smart)
  • 2 potatoes, cut into 1cm cubes
  • 400g tin of mixed beans (like 3 bean mix or 4 bean mix) - don't discard the juice
  • 400g tin of kidney beans (don't discard the juice)
  • 2 x 400g tins diced tomatoes
  • 1 onion, peeled and diced
  • 1 cup water
  • Chilli to taste. It doesn't matter whether you used chilli powder, minced chilli, chilli flakes or fresh chilli - just add as much as you want for a spicy 'kick'.
  • 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
  • 1 tablespoon good quality olive oil
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • Salt & pepper
  • Fresh basil to garnish
Method:
  • In a large pan, heat the oil, add onion and cook until clear
  • Add the mince, garlic, chilli, salt & pepper, break up and stir. If the mince is lean enough - it should not produce extra oil. However if you haven't used lean mince - scoop out the extra oil and discard it
  • Once the mince is brown, add the beans (with the juice), potatoes, tomatoes, water, soy sauce and stir well
  • Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer
  • It's best if you leave it long enough to break down the beans which requires about 4hrs, however it's so yummy and often too hard to wait the required 4hrs. We've eaten it after 2hrs
  • Serve in bowls with or without rice and garnish with torn basil leaves
D-E-L-icious  XD

No comments:

Post a Comment