Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Monday, March 12, 2012

Sweet & Sour Pork


Wow! All I can say is...wow! This is the first time I've made sweet and sour sauce AND the first time I've cooked pork in such a way that has left me wanting more. This is by far the best way to have pork...most definitely. This recipe serves 4 with rice. Because my family love a lot of sauce - I doubled the sauce quantities.

Ingredients:
  • 500-600g pork fillet, trimmed and thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup tomato sauce
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 1 onion, peeled and cut into wedges
  • 1 green capsicum, thinly sliced (I only had red so used it)
  • 150g cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 150g chopped fresh pineapple (I used tinned pieces)
  • Steamed rice - enough for 4.

Method:
  1. Place the pork and 2 tablespoons of the soy sauce in a bowl, toss until well coated, cover and refrigerate for 10mins
  2. Place the remaining soy sauce in a bowl and combine with tomato sauce, vinegar and brown sugar. Set aside
  3. Place a wok or large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and spray with spray oil spray. Cook the pork in batches until browned, then remove and wipe out the wok with paper towel
  4. Spray the wok with a little more spray oil. Add onion and capsicum and stir-fry for 4 minutes or until just tender. Return the pork to the wok, along with tomatoes, pineapple and soy sauce mixture and cook for a further 3 minutes
  5. Serve immediately with steamed rice.
Note: Brown rice is a wholegrain rice which means it has more fibre and a higher vitamin content that white rice varieties. Of the white rice varieties, basmati has the lowest GI so helps you fell fuller for longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment