Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Fast & healthy nachos


This recipe for Nachos is the fastest, easiest and healthiest. This quantity serves 4.

Ingredients:
  • 8 piece pack of Mountain Bread - I use 'corn' bread
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 500g Heart Smart lean mince
  • 1 x 400g can tinned tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • Salt, pepper and dried mixed herbs
  • Chilli and garlic to taste
  • 1 onion, peeled and diced
  • 1 cup grated low-fat tasty cheese
  • 2 avocados, peeled and mashed
  • Optional: chopped shallots, chilli flakes, light sour cream or low-fat natural Greek yoghurt


Method:
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees celsius for about 10mins
  2. Heat olive oil in a large pan, add onions, garlic and chilli and stir well
  3. Once onions are clear, add the mince, break up and cook for 10mins on med-high heat
  4. Add tomato paste, tinned tomatoes, salt, pepper and about a tablespoon or so of dried herbs, mix well
  5. Simmer this mixture for 8-10mins
  6. While the mixture is simmering, cook the mountain bread laid out in the oven on oven trays on 200 degrees for about 8-10mins. Don't let them burn
  7. When cooked, break the mountain bread into pieces on a plate, add the meat mixture on top, and top with grated cheese
  8. Pop in the microwave or under the grill just to melt the cheese
  9. Add mashed avocado (and shallots, chilli flakes, sour cream or yoghurt if you like)

D-E-L-icious  XD
This is the Mountain brand bread which I use.

No comments:

Post a Comment