Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Friday, May 25, 2012

Home-made Chicken Soup


This chicken soup is very easy, very tasty and lovely served with fresh bread rolls. This serves 4 generous serves, or 6 smaller ones.

Ingredients:
  • 5 chicken drumsticks
  • 1 large brown onion, peeled, finely chopped
  • 1 large carrot, peeled, finely chopped
  • 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
  • 2 tbs finely chopped fresh continental parsley stems or 2 teaspoons dried parsley
  • 6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
  • 2 litres water (may need more for later if the liquid reduces too much)
  • 1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns
Method:
  1. Place the garlic, ginger and chicken drumsticks in a large pan with some olive oil, turn often so the chicken browns on all sides
  2. Once browned, add the onion, carrot, celery, water and herbs and bring to the boil
  3. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and place the saucepan lid on
  4. Leave for a minimum of 2hrs
  5. After 2hrs (sometimes more if the drums are large) remove the drums from the saucepan and place on paper towel to cool slightly
  6. Once cool enough to handle, remove the chicken from the drums. It should be relatively easy. Discard skin, bone and any sinew.
  7. Return the cooked chicken pieces to the pan to warm through
  8. Serve when ready and sprinkle with fresh parsley and hot buttered rolls.
Note: Instead of using water - I added home-made chicken stock which I had in the freezer. D-E-L-icious  XD

No comments:

Post a Comment