Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

$120 Food Challenge : Week 3



Well it looks like I've blown the budget again this week - more-so than the previous weeks :(

Before shopping
As always I did a stocktake of the pantry, fridge and freezer and decided I only needed to buy chicken and beef mince for meat this week.

Lunches
Triple smoked ham and chicken breast were on special this week so I bought both for lunches. As we are having a deli dinner one night (meat and salad platter where we all construct our own sandwiches and wraps) I also bought 2 different types of salami...$15.00 in sandwich meat! Bread was 2 loaves for $5.00. Sheesh! It differs every week! I made cupcakes yesterday for the kids' lunch boxes and also bought generic brand snacks to be divided up into zip lock bags. I spent $20.00 on fruit for the week.

The meat
I bought two whole chickens at Aldi - one for dinner and one to be broken up for sandwiches. I made the mistake of misreading the price tag on the whole chickens. The plain whole chook was $6.69 for one. The marinated one was $7.69 (I thought). It wasn't until I got home and checked the receipt that I realised the marinated chook was actually $10.52 so the price tag I saw must have said $7.69per kg. NOT HAPPY JAN! The other meat I bought was 2kg of mince as it was on special at the butcher for $16.00. I intend to make several mince dishes this week.

What I learned this week

  • Always check the price tags properly
  • Caged eggs are cheaper than free range!








No comments:

Post a Comment