Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Friday, November 2, 2012

$120 Food Challenge : Week 2

Before shopping
Like last week I did another stocktake of my fridge, freezer and pantry to see what could be used up. I had 2 x 400g chicken breast, 2 T-Bones and some frozen pies. I will use these up this week so the only meat I wanted to buy this week was 500g rump for a stir fry. Other meals will be vegetarian.

Lunches
At the deli sliced leg ham was on special so I bought that. Oh and I usually buy sliced chicken breast for the kids' sandwiches but it's twice as much as chicken loaf so I chose the chicken loaf. I've always been sceptical of processed meats and never buy them, but I seriously wanted to cut down this week's food bill. This blog by an experienced deli assistant explains what's in processed meats. After reading this, my concerns have been proven and I will not buy the chicken loaf again!

Last week the kids complained they were hungry because I hadn't bought as many snacks as usual. They eat 2-3 pieces of fruit per day, plus their lunch and obviously breakfast and dinner, but they are growing children and are hungry so this week I bought snacks for them. I bought generic brand and some zip lock bags to make up small treats for their lunch boxes.

The meat
I learnt my lesson last week and decided to buy the meat at the butcher, which was selling rump cheaper per kilo than Woolies - AND it was already sliced into strips. Yay!

Considering the only meat I bought was 500g rump, my budget of $120 was definitely blown again this week. I spent $182.76 on food and $55.75 on non-food items. So far this challenge is not going too well :(


No comments:

Post a Comment