Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Chicken Schnitzel - Gluten Free and Low-Fat


I love a chicken schnitzel, but believe it or not, I've never made it...until now. Unfortunately my tummy doesn't handle stuffing or crumbing well, so I didn't use regular breadcrumbs. I found Orgran Rice Crumbs in the health food section of my supermarket. They are gluten free, wheat free, dairy free, egg free, yeast free, soy free, nut free and vegan. The Rice Crumbs can be substituted for stuffing and crumbing among other uses.

The other thing I did differently is I baked the schnitzels in the oven as I don't like frying in oil. The rice crumbs don't get that lovely golden colour that traditional schnitzels have, but you can rest assure that they taste amazing and are extremely healthy. Why bind yourself up with breadcrumbs and oil when there is a much healthier alternative? This recipe serves 4 and is lovely served with wedges and salad.


Ingredients:

  • 500g chicken breast, fat removed, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • Dash of skim milk
  • 3/4 cup Orgran Rice Crumbs
  • Spices of your choice
  • 3 large, shallow plastic containers


Method:

  1. Beat the chicken breast until flat and even throughout
  2. In container one add the flour
  3. In container two add the beaten egg and dash of milk
  4. In container three add the rice crumbs and spices of your choice
  5. One at a time, add the chicken to the flour (both sides), then the egg/milk wash (both sides) and finally the rice crumbs (both sides)
  6. Place them on a large plate, wrap the plate with gladwrap and place in fridge for at least 20mins
  7. Pre-heat oven to 220 degrees celsius
  8. Place the schnitzels on baking paper in an oven tray
  9. Spray both sides with spray oil
  10. Cook for 10-12mins each side depending on the thickness of the chicken
  11. Serve with seasoned wedges and salad.  D-E-L-icious  XD






No comments:

Post a Comment