Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Low FODMAP diet for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)


I've always been an IBS sufferer but have mainly ignored it and eaten whatever I like. However from time to time, the "poisons" I will call them - build up in my stomach and bowel to a point where I can no longer ignore it. Two weeks ago I had a weekend where I overindulged with friends and ate too much cheese, crackers, dips, salami, cabanosi and processed food! Tsk Tsk! I suffered for two weeks!!!

It was so painful I went to the doctor thinking I had a bladder infection as the pain had migrated to my bladder, but the urine test was negative. She assured me it was only IBS and sent me home with a printout of the low FODMAP diet. WTF!? As a long time sufferer of IBS I had never heard of this diet. It had never been offered to be before. I took home the printout, read it and it all made sense.

There is a lot of information online about low FODMAP foods, but I will briefly explain it here.

"Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common functional gastrointestinal disorder (FGID) affecting one in seven Australian adults and is also common in the USA, Europe and many Asian countries. This condition is characterised by chronic and relapsing symptoms; lower abdominal pain and discomfort, bloating, wind, distension and altered bowel habit (ranging from diarrhoea to constipation) but with no abnormal pathology." (Monash University).

"The research team at Monash University have developed a diet to control gastrointestinal symptoms associated with IBS/FGID. The team has focused on a group of carbohydrates they have named FODMAPs (stands for Fermentable Oligo-saccharides, Disaccharides, Mono-saccharides and Polyols).
FODMAPs can be poorly absorbed in the small intestine. Mal-absorbed carbohydrates are fermented by gut bacteria to produce gas. Current research strongly suggests that this group of carbohydrates contributes to IBS/FGID symptoms. FODMAPs are found in a wide range of foods." (Monash University).


Referring to the above chart, you can see which foods create problems for IBS sufferers, and those which do not. 

Other links:
  • The cooking and/or storing process of some foods may alter the levels of FODMAP's in them. See this link for more information  
  • If you're a cheese lover like me, this link is helpful about which cheeses are OK
  • Also if you love garlic like me, this link explains about cooking with it for flavour and then removing it
  • This link explains why creams, sauces and gravies are problematic
  • If you're a big bread eater - sour dough is better for you. This explains why
  • I've also noticed if I reduce gluten in my diet it helps. This article explains the different between gluten-free and wheat-free
  • The low FODMAP diet doesn't have to be a lifestyle change. It recommends trying it for 2-6 weeks (like an elimination diet) and then slowly re-introduce foods and monitor your symptoms. More info here.
There is lots of information about IBS and the low FODMAP diet on the Internet. Let your fingers do the walking and Google it. Good luck XD

No comments:

Post a Comment