Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Monday, June 23, 2014

Slow Cooked Mongolian Beef


I've been searching for a recipe for Mongolian Beef as it's my son's favourite Chinese meal, and this one is perfect because I can put it in the slow cooker in the morning before work and come home to a cooked meal. The only thing to do is add garnishing and steamed rice. This serves 4 and is a sweet dish. This recipe doesn't have chilli added, so if you like your food a little spicy - add some chopped chilli to the slow cooker along with the other ingredients. As it is quite sweet, you may also wish to reduce the amount of sugar added because hoisin sauce is a sweet sauce.

Ingredients:

  • 500g chuck steak, trimmed and thinly sliced
  • ¼ cup cornflour
  • 2 onions, peeled and sliced Asian style
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 3 large spring onions, sliced into 2cm pieces
  • ½ cup soy sauce
  • ½ cup water
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • ½ teaspoon minced fresh ginger
  • ½ cup hoisin sauce
  • 400g tin corn spears
  • Handful of green string beans sliced into 2cm pieces
  • One more spring onion for garnishing


Method:

  1. Place chuck steak and cornflour into a bag, shake well and allow steak to rest for 10mins
  2. Place the onion, vegetables and steak into the slow cooker
  3. In a large jar add the garlic, soy sauce, water, brown sugar, ginger and hoisin sauce and mix well
  4. Add sauce mixture to the slow cooker and toss gently
  5. Cook on low for 4-5 hours
  6. Serve with rice and garnish with chopped spring onion.  D-E-L-icious  XD

No comments:

Post a Comment