Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Salad in a jar


Months ago I discovered salad in a jar and thought the idea was great but never acted on it. Well last week I bought some mason jars from my local Kmart for $2.00 each, washed them in hot soapy water and then sterilised the jars and lids with boiled water.

The salad in a jar is pretty versatile, but it is all about la yering. If you're like me and want to prepare some lunches for the week BEFORE the week begins, there is a certain way of layering the salad so the dressing doesn't wilt the vegetables.

There are lot of combinations - just check out Pinterest for some ideas, but these are what I made this week and they were lovely.

Apart from the dressing, I haven't included quantities as mason jar sizes differ. The quantities are trial and error and over time, you'll know how much food to prepare for the number of jars you are filling.

Layers from bottom to top. 1 being bottom layer and 11 being top layer:

  1. 1 teaspoon lemon juice mixed with 1 teaspoon olive oil with salt & pepper (this is the dressing)
  2. Kidney beans
  3. Corn kernels
  4. Thickly chopped carrot
  5. Roughly chopped snow peas
  6. Beetroot
  7. Sliced gherkins
  8. Diced shallots
  9. Chopped cucumber
  10. Fetta cheese
  11. Torn lettuce leaves - I used Cos lettuce
Store in the fridge for up to 5 days, being careful not to shake the jars or the dressing may wilt the upper layered veggies.

When you're ready to eat one, give it a shake and pour it into a bowl. That's it!

You can add other ingredients to the jar including meats, however so far I've placed chopped chicken or tinned tuna in the bowl before tipping the salad out onto it...it's just easier for me that way.

Delicious  XD





No comments:

Post a Comment