Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Home Made Chicken Stock

This is the stock being strained

This stock is the best you'll ever taste and it uses the rest of the chicken once you've devoured all the meat. We had a store-bought BBQ chook and once we'd eaten everything off the carcass I threw it, with the skin and any juices still in the bag, all in the freezer for when I'm ready to make stock. Thanks to my Dad for this awesome recipe.

Ingredients:
  • Leftover bones and skin from a cooked or raw chicken carcass
  • 2 Celery sticks, roughly chopped
  • 1 Onion, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 Carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 2 Bay leaves
  • Salt & pepper, about a 1/4tsp each
Method:
  1. Throw everything in a large stock pot, cover with water and bring to the boil
  2. Once boiling, turn down to low and simmer uncovered for about 4hrs
  3. Every now and then scoop off the foam that comes to the surface and discard it
  4. You will need to add extra water as it reduces too so taste it from time to time and when the water gets below the carcass, add some boiled water to top up
  5. After the 4hrs drain all into a large mesh strainer sitting over a large container
  6. Discard the chicken bones, skin and veggies
  7. Store the stock (only the liquid) in an air-tight container
You can either use the stock immediately or store in the fridge for 5 days or freezer for 2 months. You may want to store the stock in ice-cube trays and use small quantities when necessary.  D-E-L-icious  XD
This is the stock simmering

No comments:

Post a Comment