Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Challenge 3: Vegetable Curry

OK this is challenge recipe 3 and is a vegetable curry with mainly a tomato base. The additional yoghurt at the end is a different twist, but worth it.

Ingredients:

  • 250g potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 250g pumpkin, peeled and diced
  • 200g cauliflower, broken into florets
  • 150g yellow squash, cut into quarters
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 2 onions, peeled and chopped
  • 3 tablespoons curry powder
  • 400g tin chopped tomatoes
  • 250ml vegetable stock
  • 150g green beans cut into short lengths
  • 30g sultanas

Method:

  1. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add the potato and pumpkin and cook for 6 minutes, then remove
  2. Add the cauliflower and squash, cook for 4 minutes, then remove
  3. In a large saucepan, heat the oil and cook the onion over a medium heat for 8 minutes or until starting to brown
  4. Add the curry powder and stir for 1 minute, or until fragrant
  5. Stir in tomatoes and stock
  6. Add the parboiled potato, pumpkin, cauliflower and squash and cook for 5 minutes, then add the green beans and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, or until tender
  7. Add yoghurt and sultanas and stir to combine. Simmer for 3 minutes or until slightly thickened
  8. Season to taste and serve.

Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 6
Score: 5 stars.
Comments: I couldn't buy squash this week so I used zucchinis instead. I didn't have enough potatoes, so included some sweet potato. And I also didn't have beans so used red capsicum. It wouldn't serve 6. In fact it served 4 with rice! I'm finding the serving sizes are never correct. I wonder if we just eat too much! lol. I will definitely make it again. It was delicious  XD

No comments:

Post a Comment