Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Prik Khing Pork


I learned to make Prik Khing Pork, a Thai stir fry when I worked in a Thai kitchen. What I love about it is - there is no coconut milk required…and this makes it healthier XD. Here are the ingredients:

  • 1 tblspn olive oil
  • 1 tblspn Prik Khing curry paste
  • 300g thinly sliced lean pork with all fat removed
  • 1/2 tblspn white sugar (or palm sugar if you have it)
  • 1 tspn chicken powder 
  • 1 tblspn fish sauce * (see below tip)
  • 1 tblspn seasoning sauce * (see below tip)
  • 1 tblspon soy sauce * (see below tip)
  • 1/2 red capsicum
  • 1/2 green capsicum
  • 8-10 long corn spears (tinned are juicier than dried)
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1/2 long red chilli (or full one if you like it very hot)
  • 4 Kaffir lime leaves very thinly sliced. You buy these by the punnet in your supermarket or in an Asian grocer. They are easy to freeze and use small amounts when necessary. They ARE compulsory for this dish. It simply doesn't work without them.

Directions:

  1. Heat oil in wok
  2. Add curry paste and stir in oil for 2 minutes
  3. Turn heat to high and add pork, stir until cooked
  4. Add sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, seasoning sauce, chicken powder and mix through
  5. Add vegetables and cook for 3 minutes
  6. If mix is too dry, add some water
  7. Garnish with kaffir lime leaves and serve on jasmine rice.
* Tip: If you love Thai food and want to start cooking it - the above sauces are compulsory in any Thai kitchen as well as oyster sauce, seasoning sauce, chicken stock powder, and palm sugar. Visit a local Asian grocer when you can and buy all the sauces. Some will keep for months in the fridge or pantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment