Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Friday, October 25, 2013

Shish Kebabs - low FODMAP alternative



I love making these because they are easy, enjoyable to eat and versatile. You can put pretty much whatever you want on them - as long as they cook on a hot plate! I have one fussy eater so I made some which will suit him, and the others I made for the rest of us.

I made chicken and lamb shish kebabs. The chicken shish kebabs in the top photo have cherry tomatoes and corn spears - they are for my fussy eater! Whilst the lamb ones in the bottom photo have an assortment of red capsicum, green capsicum, onion, corn spears, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes.

For IBS and for those following the low FODMAP diet - use zucchini, cherry tomato and capsicum. You could also use harder vegetables too like carrot, green beans, pumpkin and potato, but my suggestion is to pre cook them first so they don't take too long on the hot plate.

Ingredients:

  • 500g diced lamb pieces
  • 500g chicken breast
  • Vegetables of your choice, suitable for sticking a skewer through and grilling on the hotplate
  • Marinade of your choice. I marinated the chicken in soy sauce and sesame seeds (Mr fussy's choice) and the lamb in mint sauce alone. Marinate for at least one hour, the longer the better though!


Method:

  1. The first thing you MUST do is soak the skewers in a bowl of water for about 30mins so they don't burn on the hotplate
  2. Once the meat is marinated and the skewers have been soaked, place the meat and vegetables on the skewers in any order you like
  3. Either BBQ them or use an electric frying pan or griddle pan
  4. Cook on a medium heat, turning often and mind they don't burn.


Note: it is advisable to cut the pieces of meat and veg around the same size so they do actually touch the hotplate. If they are not touching the hotplate they won't cook!  D-E-L-icious  XD

No comments:

Post a Comment