Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Quinoa and Tuna Salad - low FODMAP and gluten free


I've never bought Quinoa before so I ventured off to the health food store to see what all the fuss was about. I had a few recipes in mind, so ended up buying the black quinoa. It also comes in white and red. Here are two images of before cooking and after cooking...
uncooked


 cooked


It is very important to rinse the quinoa before eating it, however I didn't have a mesh colander with small enough holes so I placed the quinoa in boiling water and let it cook for about 2 mins. In this time it swelled slightly, making it large enough not to slip through the holes in my colander. Then I removed it from the stove, poured it through my mesh colander into a large bowl, replaced the water and put it back on the stove.

This recipe was adapted from two recipes I found. Then I adjusted it so it was low FODMAP for IBS sufferers. This serves 3 generous serves or 4 side dishes.

Ingredients:

  • 300g black quinoa, rinsed
  • 3 cups water
  • 185g tin of tuna (unflavoured)
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 2 tablespoons of chopped red capsicum
  • 2 tablespoons of chopped green capsicum
  • 2 tablespoons of chopped yellow capsicum
  • 1 cup mint leaves, finely chopped


Dressing:

  • ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
  • ⅓ cup good quality olive oil
  • ½ tsp white sugar
  • ¼ tsp chopped chilli


Method:

  1. Combine the rinsed quinoa and water together in a medium saucepan, bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for about 15mins or until the water has absorbed
  2. Remove from stove, place into a large bowl and let cool
  3. In another large bowl, combine the tuna, capsicums, tomato and mint
  4. In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, oil, chilli and sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved
  5. Once the quinoa has cooled, pour it into the bowl with the tuna and vegetables
  6. Add the dressing and mix well…D-E-L-icious  XD


No comments:

Post a Comment