Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Sunday, January 11, 2015

2015...a new start

So it's 2015 and this year I'm turning 47. I'm overweight, unhealthy and feel tired and bloated MOST of the time! So I've decided to make some subtle but long-term changes to my diet.

I'm not going 'on a diet' as such, because for me that is bad...Bad! Bad! Bad I tell ya! Psychologically it's not good for me. What I'm doing is changing small things about what I eat, how much I eat and why I eat. I realise that I eat when I'm bored or depressed so I need to keep active and when I feel hungry I will have a glass of water. If I'm still hungry 10 minutes later, then I will allow myself to eat.

2015 is all about clean eating. I am participating in a 14 week challenge to eliminate processed food. Each week, with guidance from experts, there is a new mini challenge to do. Whilst doing these challenges I am educating myself about food labels.

I'm not going cold-turkey because that would be a shock to my system and unsustainable. I am, however, reading food labels and buying only a few 'processed foods' as treats. BUT they MUST contain LESS THAN 6 ingredients. See the images below to see what I mean...


...as much as I love Smith's salt & vinegar chips, they have too many ingredients, some of which I can't pronounce. The Peckish brand brown rice crackers are a much healthier alternative if trying to eliminate processed food...and lose weight...and lead a healthier lifestyle!

From now on this blog will consist of recipes I've found, altered or created which are based on 'real food', or 'unprocessed' food, or simply food which is better for us.

I've been eating well for 7 days and have already lost 1.3kg, so I believe I'm on a good thing.

These recipes won't suit everyone. There are still people who have allergies or intolerance to certain foods, so this blog is not the answer to curing those conditions. This is simply my personal journey as a food addict who is hell bent on improving her lifestyle and increasing her longevity.

Take care and enjoy,
Nell XD


No comments:

Post a Comment