Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Red Onion Jam


I've made this a few times and have enjoyed it each time. It's great as an accompaniment to hamburgers, over sausages or BBQ steak, or simply on toast. My favourite is on toast for breakfast.

Ingredients:
  • 4 red onions, thinly sliced
  • 25g butter, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2/3 cup dry red wine
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • Salt & pepper to taste


Method:
  1. Heat butter and oil in a large saucepan
  2. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, over a medium heat for about 10 minutes or until onions are soft
  3. Stir in brown sugar and red wine and cook, stirring occasionally, over a low heat for about 35 minutes. Ensure onions are caramelised and all liquid has gone before proceeding to the next step
  4. Stir in vinegar and tomato paste and cook for a further 10 minutes
  5. Season with salt and pepper
Red onion jam can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to one month. Remember to use a clean spoon every time you take a scoop of jam from the jar. You can also re-heat the jam each time by adding a small amount to a saucepan on a medium heat until warmed through. I make double quantities and place them in glass jars for friends.  D-E-L-icious  XD

No comments:

Post a Comment