Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Friday, July 29, 2011

Challenge 1: Broccoli, Potato and Coriander Soup

Ingredients:

  • 500g broccoli florets and stalks, chopped
  • Cooking spray oil
  • 2 onions, peeled and chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 750g potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 2 small chicken stock cubes
  • 1 litre of water
  • 375ml skim milk
  • 3 tablespoons finely chopped coriander.

Method:

  1. Lightly spray the base of a large saucepan with oil, then place over medium heat and add onion and garlic
  2. Add 1 tablespoon of water to prevent sticking, cover and cook, stirring occasionally over a low heat for 5 minutes, or until the onion has softened and is lightly golden
  3. Add ground cumin and ground coriander and cook for 2 minutes
  4. Add the potato and broccoli to the pan, stir well and add the stock cubes with 1 litre of water
  5. Slowly bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer over a low heat for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender
  6. Allow to cool slightly then blend the soup in batches in a food processor/blender until smooth
  7. Return to the saucepan and stir in the milk
  8. Slowly reheat, without boiling
  9. Stir in the chopped coriander and season before serving.
Now this recipe is as per the book, HOWEVER I had to make some adjustments. I was out of cumin, so added smoky paprika and turmeric instead. We found the soup quite bland and needed to add lots of salt and pepper and extra coriander.

Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 6
Score: 2.5 stars out of 5.
Comment: Probably won't make it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment