Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Beef, Barley & Turnip Soup


This is one of my favourite home-made soups. It is delicious, easy and very healthy. You will need 90mins cooking time for this recipe and it serves 6.

Ingredients:

  • 650g Heart-smart diced beef
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
  • 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 2 sticks celery, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 4 cups beef stock
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 cup pearl barley
  • 2 dried bay leaves
  • 2 turnips, peeled and chopped
  • Salt & pepper
Method:
  1. Heat a large saucepan or stock pot, add oil, beef pieces, salt & pepper
  2. Brown for a few minutes on both sides
  3. Add onion, garlic, carrots and celery and cook, stirring often, for about 5mins
  4. Add stock and water, stirring well to scrape juices from the base of the pan
  5. Add barley and bay leaves and bring to the boil
  6. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 1 hour
  7. Add turnip and cook, uncovered, for a further 30mins, adding more water if too thick
  8. Serve in bowls with some crusty bread
D-E-L-icious  XD

No comments:

Post a Comment