Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Home-made Low-Fat Beef Pies



This recipe is so easy and very tasty. It's a winner for kids because all kids like pies...don't they? So this recipe serves 4 pies in ramekin dishes. Using chutney is so much more healthy than other pie fillings like gelatine, gravy, tins of soup, pasta sauce and tomato sauce. I didn't eat the pastry due to my gallbladder diet, so my piece of pastry was easily removed and devoured by the family  :)

Ingredients:
  • 500g Heart Smart Lean Minced Beef
  • 250g jar tomato chutney
  • 2 cups mixed frozen vegetables (I used peas, corn & carrots)
  • 1 onion, peeled and chopped
  • Spray oil
  • 1 sheet puff pastry
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • Salt & pepper to taste
Method:
  1. Lay a piece of puff pastry out on a bench to thaw (it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes) and pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and 
  2. In a frying pan, spray with spray oil and add the onion. Stir often and add the water to prevent sticking
  3. Once the onion is clear, add the mince, salt & pepper and cook until just brown - don't over-cook it cooks further in the oven
  4. Briefly cook the frozen vegetables in the microwave on high. They shouldn't need more than 3-4 minutes
  5. Once the meat is browed, place the meat, onion and drained vegetables into a large bowl. Stir through the jar of chutney until all mixed
  6. Spray the ramekin dishes with spray oil and fill with pie mixture (beef/vegetable/chutney) until full
  7. Cut the pastry with a knife into 4 even squares and place a square over each ramekin dish (now filled with pie mixture)
  8. Press the pastry over the top and sides with your hands. No need to trim the excess off
D-E-L-icious  XD

No comments:

Post a Comment