Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Corn, shallot & fetta quiche


This is the easiest quiche ever and is extremely versatile. You can add 2 cups of your choice of filling. This time I used 2 cups of corn, shallots and low-fat fetta cheese, but you could add asparagus, capsicum, peas, corn, bacon, cooked chicken, ham or onion.

Ingredients:

  • 4 eggs
  • 1 and 1/2 cups milk
  • 2 tablespoons melted low-fat spread
  • 1/2 cup self raising flour
  • 1 cup low-fat fetta cheese
  • 1 cup corn kernels
  • 1 cup shallots, finely sliced
  • * or 2 cups of filling of your choice
  • A sprinkle of salt, pepper, dried chives and garlic salt

Method:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celsius
  2. Whisk in a bowl the eggs, milk, butter and flour, spices
  3. Fold in the corn, shallots and fetta (or your choice of filling)
  4. Pour into a 24cm quiche dish and spread out the mixture evenly
  5. Bake for 40 minutes or until set
  6. Serve hot with vegetables or cold with salad

Note: As mentioned, this recipe is extremely versatile because it offers a choice of fillings. You can also add a pastry base if you wish. In the past I have blind-baked puff pastry for my base and it added some volume. It truly was D-E-L-icious  XD

Update: Today I substituted spinach and low-fat Greek fetta cheese and it was fabulous. Thaw frozen spinach, squeeze out the water and add it to the bowl instead of the corn, cheese and shallots. And instead of tasty cheese, crumble approximately 1 cup of fetta in and stir well. Bake as per the above instructions. Here is the spinach I used:

No comments:

Post a Comment