Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Low-fat Bean Salad


This bean salad has very little oil, is fast, easy and tasty. It serves 4 as a side, or 2 as a main...a nice lunch idea for Vegans and/or Vegetarians =)

Ingredients:
  • 750g tin of 4 bean mix
  • 2 large sticks celery, finely chopped
  • 1/4 green capsicum, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup uncooked cous cous (prepare as per packet instructions)
Dressing:
  • 1 tsp good quality olive oil
  • Juice from half a lemon
  • 1/4 tsp caster sugar
  • 1/2 garlic clove, crushed
Note: You can double the dressing if you like, but the quantities in the recipe results in a very lean salad. These quantities are just enough to moisten the beans and cous cous and stirs through nicely.

Method:
  1. Cook the cous cous as per packet directions and let cool to room temperature (it only takes a few minutes)
  2. Place the beans in a medium sized bowl, add the cous cous and the chopped vegetables
  3. Add the oil, sugar, garlic & lemon juice
  4. Stir well and serve.  D-E-L-icious  XD
Note: This salad is also nice with tuna stirred through - just ensure you drain the tuna really well to keep it low-fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment