Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Creamy Chicken Curry


We love a curry so when I saw this one in a Weight Watchers book I just had to make it. This is low-fat and extremely tasty.

Ingredients:
  • 1 and 1/4 cup basmati rice
  • 1 large brown onion, halved and sliced thinly
  • 1 tbs mild curry powder
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 500g lean chicken breast fillets, fat trimmed and thinly sliced
  • 2 tsp cornflour
  • 2 tbs mango chutney
  • 1/2 cup low-fat natural Greek yogurt
  • Fresh coriander sprigs to garnish.

Method:
  1. Cook rice to packet instructions
  2. Meanwhile heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and 2 tbs cold water. Cook, stirring often for 5 minutes. If water dries up, add a little more
  3. Stir in curry powder and cook for a further minute until fragrant
  4. Add stock and chicken and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through
  5. Blend cornflour with 1 tsp cold water in a small bowl. Add chutney and yogurt to cornflour mixture and stir to combine
  6. Remove curry from heat and allow to stand for 2 minutes. Stir in yogurt mixture a spoonful at a time. Cook over low heat, without boiling (or the yogurt with curdle), for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened
  7. Serve curry with rice and topped with coriander.

No comments:

Post a Comment