Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Friday, June 22, 2012

Roast Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Salad



This a great lunch idea which can be cooked in advance and taken to work with minimal effort. Best eaten cold.

Ingredients:
  • 1/8 pumpkin (any sort) peeled and thickly sliced
  • 1/2 sweet potato peeled and thickly sliced
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • Spray oil
  • Alfalfa sprouts (as much as you want)
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds

Method:
  1. Firstly I always keep fresh AND toasted sesame seeds in the pantry. It’s easy to toast them. I put a tablespoon or 2 in a bowl into the microwave. Cook them on high for a minute and check and stir…another minute….check and stir…another minute…check and stir. You will know when they are done when there are some dark brown ones amongst them. It shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes. Make sure your bowl is microwave safe - I have destroyed 2 plastic containers toasting seeds! 
  2. Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees celsius (190 if fan-forced)
  3. Place the pumpkin and sweet potato on baking paper in a baking dish
  4. Spray with oil
  5. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. I use sea-salt and cracked pepper
  6. Cook for 20 minutes then turn over and spray with spray oil again 
  7. Cook for another 15-25 minutes depending on how caramelised you like them
  8. Remove and let cool - place in fridge once cooled to room temperature
  9. When ready to eat, place them on a plate and garnish with alfalfa sprouts and the sesame seeds…D-E-L-icious XD

No comments:

Post a Comment