Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Spaghetti with Squashed Tomatoes


Because we are currently doing the $120 Food Challenge, this recipe is courtesy of said book. I had to adapt it slightly because I don't like anchovies, so it is a little different, but it turned out extremely nice. It's a very affordable meal when cherry tomatoes are in season (spring) and serves 4. Admittedly the portion sizes are smaller than we are used to so we ended up going back for seconds (lucky I made a little more spaghetti)!

Ingredients:

  • 250g cherry tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 350g dried spaghetti or other long pasta
  • 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
  • 4 anchovies (we used about 12 whole pitted olives instead)
  • A handful of fresh basil leaves (whole)
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • Shaved or grated parmesan


Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius
  2. Place cherry tomatoes on a baking try and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil
  3. Roast for 20mins or until slightly wilted
  4. Cook the spaghetti as per packet instructions
  5. Drain the spaghetti, reserving 1/2 cup of the water
  6. Return it to the pan and keep warm
  7. Heat a frying pan over medium heat, add remaining oil and cook the garlic for 1 minute only
  8. Mash the anchovies (or olives) with a fork, then add the roast tomatoes and gently squash them so they split and release their seeds and juices
  9. Add the anchovies (or olives) along with the tomatoes to the frying pan and warm gently for about 5mins
  10. Remove from heat
  11. Toss the tomato and anchovies (olive) mixture through the spaghetti, then add the basil leaves and toss again briefly
  12. Divide among 4 bowls, top with freshly ground pepper and parmesan
Note: Serve with home made garlic, herb or parmesan bread.  D-E-L-icious XD

No comments:

Post a Comment