Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Cottage cheese, tomato & rocket on sour-dough


I remember eating cottage cheese out of the tub as a kid. Nowadays it's available in low-fat so that's what I buy. It's hard not to eat the whole thing in one sitting so I have to be careful ;)

I don't like, nor can I afford, gluten-free bread so I find the next best thing is sour dough bread. Sour dough is NOT safe for all Coeliacs, BUT it is safer for many people and I know from experience that it is definitely better for my tummy. This article has information about research conducted on sour dough bread. It's quite an interesting read and it makes sense as to why I can eat it without any tummy problems. This serves one for lunch.

Ingredients:

  • 2 pieces sour dough or gluten free bread
  • 2 tablespoons low-fat cottage cheese
  • 1/2 tomato, sliced
  • Rocket
  • Salt & pepper


Method:
Layer the cottage cheese, tomato and rocket on the bread and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Yes, it's that easy! And it's bloody D-E-L-icious  XD

Note: Research has shown that the lacto-bacilli present in sour dough cultures effectively neutralize the toxic components of the wheat gluten molecule responsible for the allergic reaction in celiac-sprue sufferers. So I would say give it a try - it is a whole lot cheaper than buying gluten-free bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment