Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Beef Stroganoff - Julie Goodwin


This is by far the BEST beef strog I've made. The best I've ever tasted in fact. I've made a few and this sauce is the absolute yummiest. The photo does the dish no justice whatsoever - you simply need to make it and try it for yourself.

Note: It is imperative the meat is thinly sliced...I made the mistake of not reading this until it was already cooking...you MUST slice the beef thinly like a stir-fry. This quantity serves 4. I've adapted the quantities of Julie's recipe because we like extra sauce so this recipe has the 'extra sauce' for extra yumminess!

Ingredients:

  • 1/3 cup plain flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper (I used black)
  • 2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika (I only had smoked)
  • 500g round steak, trimmed and very thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used olive)
  • 300g button mushrooms, sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup beef stock 
  • 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
  • 300ml sour cream (I used light sour cream)
Method:
  • In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper and paprika. Toss the beef strips thoroughly through the mixture
  • In a large, non-stick pan, heat a quarter of the oil over a high heat until in is just smoking. Cook the beef in batches until just golden brown
  • Reduce the heat to medium-high. Heat the last of the oil in the pan and saute the mushrooms and garlic until softened. Add the tomato paste and stir for a further minute. Add the stock, worcestershire sauce and sour cream to the pan. Return the beef and stir for a minute or two until well combined and warmed through.
  • This can be served with pasta or rice, and steamed green beans or broccoli. I served ours with rice and broccoli...D-E-L-icious  XD

No comments:

Post a Comment