Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Vietnamese Chicken Salad - Julie Goodwin


As soon as I saw this recipe in Julie Goodwin's book 'Gather' I knew I would love it. The flavours of lemon, fish sauce, sweet chilli, mint and coriander are synonymous with Asian food. Personally I could eat coriander on toast and I can't believe there are some people out there who don't like it! This dish is fast. Once you've marinated the chicken pieces for an hour, the dish only takes 10 minutes to prepare and serve. This serves 4 small lunch-sized meals or 3 larger dinner-sized meals.

Ingredients:

  • 4 chicken thigh fillets (about 600g)
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 lemon, zested and juiced
  • 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
  • 100g mixed salad leaves
  • 1 lebanese cucumber, deseeded and julienned finely
  • 1/2 bunch shallots, julienned finely
  • 1/4 cup sweet chilli sauce
  • 1 tablespoon fish sauce
  • 1 cup bean sprouts
  • 1 bunch coriander, leaves picked
  • 1 bunch mint, leaves picked, roughly chopped
  • 1/4 cup crispy shallots (I didn't have any)
Method:
  1. Place the chicken thigh fillets in a pres seal bag with the garlic, lemon zest and black pepper. massage to coat the fillets thoroughly. Marinate for one hour in the fridge
  2. Place the salad leaves into a large bowl. Toss the julienned vegetables together and lay on top of the lettuce
  3. Heat a BBQ grill plate or frying pan (I used a griddle) to medium high and cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes each side, until browned and cooked through. Put aside to rest for 5 minutes
  4. Mix together the lemon juice, sweet chilli sauce and fish sauce. Slice the chicken and lay it over the salad
  5. Drizzle the dressing over. Top with bean sprouts, coriander, mint and crispy shallots.
D-E-L-icious  XD

No comments:

Post a Comment