Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Monday, October 14, 2013

Overnight Oats


Miss 16 found this recipe online and gave it a try. She raved about it and ate it several times a week before I decided to try it myself. I was sceptical because I've always been a hot porridge eater, so the thought of not cooking the oats worried me. However I relented and asked my daughter to make me some.

This is a breakfast which needs to be prepared the night before - but don't worry! It seriously only takes about 2mins. You can add whatever fruit you want - either the night before, or in the morning. If some fruit doesn't last ie. apple going brown - add apple in the morning instead. Get my drift? This quantity serves one but double for two and so on.

Ingredients:

  • Equal parts of raw oats, yoghurt and milk
  • 1/3 teaspoon cinnamon
  • Fruit of your choice


Method:

  1. I find a third of cup is ample for me so I prepare a third of a cup of oats, either vanilla yoghurt or natural Greek yoghurt, and skim milk, place all ingredients in a bowl, sprinkle with cinnamon and stir.
  2. If you find the Greek yoghurt too bitter, you can add honey in the morning, but you may find the fruit will sweeten the bitterness. If you still find it too bitter, use vanilla yoghurt instead. I prefer vanilla yoghurt but Miss 16 prefers Greek - so each to their own
  3. Depending on the fruit, you can either add it the night before or the next morning. So far we have tried strawberries, blueberries and banana the night before and they have not gone soggy!
Give it a try - you will be pleasantly surprised. In my opinion they are D-E-L-icious  XD


No comments:

Post a Comment