Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Cauliflower Rice


Cauliflower Rice is making the rounds on social networking sites like Pinterest. I first heard about it a few months back but wasn't game enough to try it as I'm not a huge cauliflower fan. However I was persuaded so I gave in and made it tonight. Personally I loved it, but Mr 13 doesn't like onion so wasn't a fan. Maybe next time I'll omit the onion :)

It isn't exactly like traditional rice and it won't suit all rice-accompanied dishes, but it is certainly a low-fat, low-carb alternative side dish. The texture is not as fluffy as white rice - it's more grainy like an undercooked brown rice, but there is none of that yucky starchy liquid which rice sometimes leaves behind. Cauliflower rice won't suit dishes with sauces where you want the rice to soak up curry or satay sauces - but it will add volume to your meal without the calories. It's perfect for bulking up dishes without adding carbs. 

Ingredients:
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1/2 head cauliflower
  • 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp salt and pepper
  • Sprinkle of oregano (you could use any dried herbs of your choice)
Method:
  1. Using a cheese grater, grate the cauliflower to a coarse texture (approximately the size of rice grains). Alternatively cut the cauliflower into small to medium sized pieces and use a food processor to blend in small batches. DON'T pulverise it though!
  2. Heat the coconut oil in a medium sized saucepan over a medium heat
  3. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 3–4 minutes, or until the onion is relatively translucent
  4. Add 1 cup of cauliflower rice per person to the pan and stir - this is a generous serve so you may want to try half a cup per person as a teaser if you haven't made it before :)
  5. Add the salt, pepper, oregano and stir through
  6. Continue to saute for 4–5 minutes 
If you have leftover uncooked cauliflower rice, place it in pres-seal bags and freeze for later. When you're ready to use the frozen cauliflower rice, take the bag out of the freezer a few hours beforehand so it thaws.

This is what the cauliflower rice looks like
blended and uncooked



D-E-L-icious  XD

No comments:

Post a Comment